Monday, December 22, 2008

Saturday's run, not so good....

Due to the weather over the weekend, I decided not to drive to Draper where our run was being held. I decided I would run my 10 miles out here in Tooele. Of course the IT bands were still tender. I've pretty much become use to having them sore most of the time. However, they didn't feel all that bad. I started my run from Stansbury and worked my way up to Tooele. I thought once I hit 5 miles, I will just turn around. Well by about mile 4 the IT bands started to bother me and I knew that if I stopped to turn around, I wouldn't be able to run again due to the pain. I thought it would be easier to just run 10 miles in one direction and then call a family member for a ride back home. I knew the highway from Stansbury to Tooele was some what of an incline but when you're in a vehicle, you don't realize how much. Trust me, when you're running, it's an incline, not too bad but it goes for about 2 to 3 miles. The IT bands and that incline did not get along at all. I made my way into Tooele and got a little bit past Macey's and then had to stop due to the pain. It was 8 miles. I was very disappointed in myself that I couldn't make the whole 10 but I was very nervous of injuring myself further.

I guess my only option is to take 2 weeks off and get the rest that my IT bands need. I took a week off and that helped but not much. I figure I will be able to keep up with my team if I take 2 weeks off. I would rather do that than keep running in pain. It's hard having to take a break but I have been trying to look at the benefits. If I can't even reach 10 miles without pain, how am I going to make it 26.2 miles? It just won't happen. Rest is what my body needs now. It's almost as if I can hear it telling me that. So, I will give the break my body needs. I'm hoping that rest, stretching, icing and heating will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment