Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back on track....Maybe.

The pain in my left knee was pretty bad. I did seek the help of a physical therapist and was told the cause of my pain was from my IT band and it is most likely because I didn't build up to the mileage that I have been running. I was advised by them and my running coach to take a couple of days off. The days off were well needed and the pain I was feeling, there was no way I could have ran. I took 3 days off. My right one started to act up a little bit but nothing to problamatic. I felt very good last night and decided I would go for a run first thing in the morning. I spent a good 25 minutes stretching and then walked about 5 minutes to warm things up.

The run for the first couple of miles didn't go too bad. I was enjoying the scene and the fresh air. After about 2.5 miles, both IT bands started to cause some discomfort. Now a while back I would have most likely stopped and walked but all I could think about was that my pain was nothing compared to what cancer patients go through. I also had thoughts of the people who have donated money for this cause. Once I realized this training wasn't so much about me but about others, it helped immensley. Those two simple things kept me going for the other 1.5 miles.

When I arrived at work, they were both very sore to the point of limping. I have been grateful that my work office is located right next door to a physical therapy office. Everyone over there is great and the head physical therapist, Kim is awesome! She helped me with some stretches and let me borrow an ice pack. The knees are already feeling better so all in all, it hasn't been as bad as I thought.

Depending on how I feel for the rest of the day and night will determine if I need to take a day off for Friday. I have to remember that the team will be doing a 8 mile run on Saturday and running 8 miles with discomfort cannot be good.

1 comment:

  1. 8 MILES! Good luck..I couldn't do more then 2! I think it is so awesome what you are doing for my little brother..you're great!

    ReplyDelete