Friday, April 17, 2009

One last post before the race.

Over $50,000 raised for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

It's hard to believe that the marathon is only one day away. The time flew by with this training and now I am worried I didn't train hard enough. I'm sure the worries that I have are normal. I have worries of not being able to finish. I have worries about how my body will handle this long distance challenge. I think my biggest worry is trying to get past what runners call, "The Wall." That's when your body tells you it cannot go any further and wants to shut down. You have to find some way to tell your mind that it can continue on. I have loaded up my Ipod with some motivational music and will only use it when times get tough on the course.

Running in the cold, snow and some times rain, going home tired and sore, fighting through issues with my IT bands and even trying to find the motivation to get out and run, I wouldn't take this back for anything. I have learned a very valuable lesson with this training and if there were marathon Gods, they sure didn't take it easy on me with this training. I remember the days having a hard time walking and the pain I had to endure with my IT bands. All of this is nothing compared to what cancer patients go through. My pain is temporary, their pain is permanent until there is a cure.

I have learned many lessons along the way with this training. I have met many great people and have made many friends that will be with me through the rest of my life. I believe the biggest lesson I learned was to put Kevan aside and concentrate my energy on something that was more important and that was my friend Dillon. There are times on my runs where I get tired and I feel I need to stop. Certain things have pushed me through that but the one thought that helped the most was, "This is not for you. Stop being so selfish and realize you are doing this for Dillon and others. Push yourself! You can do it! You're almost there. Find whatever it is inside of you to keep going." Would I say those things out loud while running on roads where there was no soul in site? I would.

I am very grateful that I decided to do this marathon. I recall when I was debating on whether to do this or not. I am very glad I said yes to this. I remember my boss saying, "Well now you have to do this. You have committed yourself. You will look stupid if you back out." Without this training, I wouldn't be the person I am right now. I wouldn't say I have a different appearance. The biggest changes have happened inside. Changes I cannot explain and that are only felt.

My quest to run a marathon was about 5-6 years ago. Throughout all those years, I some how managed to stop training and got side tracked by other things. One day I went to the gateway on a Saturday and saw them setting up the finish line for the marathon. I had so much regret that day and it ate at me. It still eats at me to this day. Team in Training was the best thing for me with my training. It taught me to run for some one other than myself. Without this team, I wouldn't be where I am at now and once again I would see this marathon continue on without me. To know that I will be participating this year is an amazing feeling. I have trained hard and I have committed myself to this.

I know this may sound weird to some but I am some what excited to push my body to it's limit. At some point in a marathon, the distance is greater than the human ability to physically transcend it. It will be interesting to see just how far I can go and how it will feel when I cross that finish line. I am sure I will be emotional. I am already emotional just thinking about it. I am sure I will cry like a little baby. Some may not understand that. But after all this training and crossing that finish line for Dillon and others will be very overwhelming to me.

"Once you cross that finish line, no matter how slow, no matter how fast, it will change your life forever."

-Dick Beardsley-

No comments:

Post a Comment